In the mean time, I have a yummy recipe to share with everyone.
Anything "buffalo" is a huge hit in our house so when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it (but with a few healthy tweaks).
I made this last night and it was the perfect rainy day recipe. I will definitely be making this again and my husband would like for it to make an appearance at an App tailgate this season.
Enjoy the goodness!
Adapted from Food Network
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used Smart Balance)
- 8 oz whole wheat elbow or shell macaroni
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalks celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons hot sauce (preferably Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups 1 % milk
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat Sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat hot pepper cheese (or another of your choice)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup light ranch dressing
- a few tortilla chips crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until done, Drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 1 minutes, then add 1/4 cup hot sauce and simmer, about 1 more minute.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the milk, then add the remaining 3 tablespoons hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the sharp cheddar cheese, then whisk in the sour cream and ranch until smooth. Sprinkle in pepper if desired.
4. Mix the noodles and chicken then pour into the baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top (mix if desired). Sprinkle the hot pepper cheese and crushed tortilla chips on top.
6. Bake until bubbly, 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings (1 cup each)
*about 300 calories, 10 grams of fat and 17 grams of protein per serving