Monday, August 1, 2011

Boston surprise

Last weekend, I surprised Mike with a trip to Boston for his 30th birthday!! I have been planning this trip for months and I was so relived to spill the beans. It was so hard keeping that a secret for such a long time!

We headed to Charlotte on Wednesday night and spent the night with Kel & Robby. When we were getting ready to head to the airport, I let Mike open his presents so he would know where we were going. He opened a Boston Red Sox shirt and 2 baseball tickets...I have NEVER seen him so excited! Boston was on his bucket list and so was going to a Red Sox game.

We arrived in Boston on Thursday afternoon, checked in the hotel and started walking around downtown. I decided to "live on the edge" and agreed to a pub crawl. We had a blast, but I needed a little extra help getting back to our hotel that evening.Friday morning we woke up and headed to our Duck Boat Tour. Our driver, MC History, was hilarious and made the 2 hour tour so much fun. We got to see the city by land and water and enjoyed every second. We spent the rest of the HOT day walking the freedom trail, trying a few restaurants, drinking a TON of water and exploring the city. That evening we had a nice dinner on the water and enjoyed a stroll around the city.
Saturday we woke up and walked to brunch right near our hotel. When we arrived, Kelly & Robby were waiting to surprise Mike. We had a great brunch, made BFF with the waiter and ate/drank way too much. After brunch, we took the subway to Harvard and walked around the campus and did a little shopping. I have to admit, I felt myself getting smarter just by walking around...seriously!
Saturday late afternoon, we headed to the Red Sox game. We were lucky enough to get 11th row seats right behind home plate. Mike was in heaven and enjoyed consuming lots of "stadium" food!

All in all, it was the perfect weekend! Exploring new cities together has become one of our favorite things to do. If you have never been to Boston, you should plan a trip. We can't wait to go back and see more of the city.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

What an awesome surprise! One thing I regret is that I never went to a Red Sox game when we lived there...Michael went to 2 and I still get on him for that! Looks like you had a fabulous weekend!!

Emily G. said...

what an awesome bday surprise! you are a great wife!! :)

amy free said...

This is unbelievable! What an amazing and unforgettable way to celebrate the big 3-0!

Kara said...

So fun! You are an awesome wife!