Thursday, July 12, 2012

Anderson's arrival part 1

I have been meaning to blog for days but somehow it hasn't happened yet.  I guess trying to get my act together after a baby is a little bit harder than I thought.  Thankfully my sis has been blogging and posting pictures of the sweet babe.

I'm breaking this into two parts so get ready for a lot of reading...

I had a regularly scheduled ultra sound for my 38 week appointment on Tuesday, July 3rd.  We got to see the little nugget move around, check his weight (which they said was 6 lbs 5oz), measurements and make sure he was healthy. 
When the doctor did her "check" she said I was 3-4cm and she thought his arrival would come sooner rather than later.  That was music to my ears until she said, "would you like to meet your son on Thursday"?  Mike said my face turned white and I looked shocked.  All along I wanted to plan the exact date of his delivery and here she was trying to hand it to me on a silver platter.  As much as I wanted to plan the date, I wanted him to make an entrance on his own time (thanks Auntie Ellen for drilling that in my head).

I told her that Thursday was too soon due to a lot of deadlines at work and needed another weekend as a family of two.  She made me agree to come back  on Thursday to get checked again because she felt like he would come any day.

When we left the doctor's office, I started to have more contractions but didn't want to admit it to Mike.  I was determined not to have this baby in the next few days.  We ran a bunch of "baby errands" on Tuesday before heading home to finish the nursery.  I spent the night finishing a lot of "to do's" for work because I was having anxiety I would have this baby sooner than I expected.

Wednesday morning, July 4th, we went for our usual walk along the river, ran errands, had a blast hanging out at the pool with the Moore's and then decided we would skip out on fireworks and have a date night.  We jokingly said that it would be our last date night and we needed to make it special.   It was the perfect night just hanging out with my husband and talking how our lives were about to change.
 Thursday morning, July 5th, I woke up early to try and finish some of my work projects.  Mike got ready for work and packed his hospital bag "just in case".  Mine had been packed since my work trip to Charlotte.  After my conference calls ended, I headed to the doctor's office around 11am.  As I waited in the room for the doctor, I made a to do list of everything I wanted to accomplish that weekend.  The doctor checked me and said I was 5cm and my "bag" was bulging.  I said, "I'm glad I'm progressing so hopefully we will meet this baby next week."  She said that I needed to be admitted to the hospital now because he was going to arrive sooner than we all expected.  After I tried to negotiate with her for a few minutes, I realized it was a losing battle.

The doctor called over to the hospital to get us a room while I called Mike with the news.
I got checked into my room around 12pm and the nurse started my IV and hooked me up to all the machines/monitors.  Mike headed home from work to pick up his hospital bag and to grab my work computer.  He got to the hospital around 12:35pm and the waiting began.
My water broke at 1pm, got the epidural at 1:45pm and then laid around the rest of the day.  While I was laying around, we made a few phone calls, texted with family and friends and I finished a few work projects.

 My blood pressure got really low as did Anderson's heart rate so I had to wear a lovely oxygen mask in the late afternoon.  My parents dropped O'Malley off at our house and then arrived at the hospital around 5:45pm.  Mike parent's and brother arrived at the hospital around 6:45pm.  Em and her family were speeding as fast as they could to get to the hospital before I started pushing.

Part 2 tomorrow...hopefully!


Emily G. said...

LOVE that you included all the "negotiating with the dr" part. That is SO YOU! you are such a nut. love you though!

The Bruces (but most likely the Mrs.) said...

I love this post! So happy to hear all the little details - LOVE the 'last' pregnancy photo of you, still annoyed by how great you look in the hospital during labor though... :)

Melissa Morrow said...

I think Em & Ellen said exactly what i'm thinking! Can't wait to hear part 2...TJ said you pushed twice! HOLY COW! Can't wait to meet little man!