Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One Month

Anderson,

I'm a little late (no surprise) with this post but you have been keeping me pretty busy.
You have survived ONE whole month with us- that is a huge accomplishment.  During the first 3 weeks of your life, you had lots of visitors staying with us.  Nanny, Poppy, Aunt Em and Aunt Bones were here for a while and were a HUGE help.  They cooked, cleaned, grocery shopped, let mommy nap and took care of you.  It was heaven to have so much help during those first few weeks.  When everyone left, I was scared and didn't know if I could do it on my own.  When things aren't routine or predictable, I have a hard time.  To say your mommy isn't flexible or easy going would be the understatement of the year.  

But you and I are starting to get into a daily routine now that everyone is gone.  Some days are better than others and I long for the day when you are sleeping more.  I spend most days thinking about the day before and what we could do differently to ensure more sleep.  I will hopefully learn to let it go and just enjoy you being a cute little newborn.  

You are eating like a hoss and have continued to grow more chins.  I asked the doctor if I should limit your food so you wouldn't get too fat and she laughed at me.  Don't worry, I won't send you off to fat camp yet.
I took you to the doctor this week because you seemed to have a little cold or maybe an allergy.  At the appointment, you weighed 9lbs 12oz so we are not worried about you growing.

sorry this picture of you isn't great, but I wanted to see if the outfit fits you now.  I can't believe how much you grew in 3 weeks!
For some reason, you don't like to nap.  You could sleep in my arms all day, but don't love to nap in your room.  We're working on it though and I am determined to make you fall in love with nap time.  You are eating every 3 hours and we'll hopefully stretch that to 3.5 hours in the next few weeks.  During the night, you wake every 3.5-4 hours to eat.  A few nights ago you had a 5 1/2 hour stretched.  I woke up in a panic and ran into your room to make sure you were still breathing.  Sure enough, your butt was in the air and you were in dream land.  I have already put you on your stomach to sleep (I know, everyone says not to do it).  But you HATED to be swaddled and on your back...so we made the executive decision to put you on your stomach.  You seem happier and there have been fewer tears and screams.

You have started to smile this week!  We're pretty sure it's because you love us and not because of gas (although you are a farting machine).  It blows our mind how much you continue to change every day.  We can't wait for you to get older so we can sleep more, but I know we will miss all the newborn stuff.  I can't get enough of your sweet chubby face when you fall sleep on my chest or the funny noises you make all day long.  We are enjoying your cute old man expressions and are looking forward to seeing your personality develop.  
We love you little man!


3 comments:

Emily G. said...

cannot wait to see mr. smiley-pants in less than 2 wks!!!!! and I'm ready to kiss on those chicken legs again!!!

Kara said...

You're such a good mama and he is so sweet!!!

beth gibbs said...

I love how you are getting to know and love your son. Not that I EVER FOR 1 SECOND THOUGHT YOU WOULDN'T but it makes me happy to see what a loving and intuiative mother you are becoming!