Thursday, January 13, 2011

Another good one

Can you tell I'm not traveling this week?!? I am actually in Knoxville for 10 straight days...YAY!!! We haven't made a major grocery run in a very long time so I have been itching to make one. I prepared Mike for the damage that was about to me made, created a list, gathered my coupons and headed to the store. Let's just say I did some MAJOR damage, but our fridge and pantry are stocked now.
Because of the travel free week AND the snow, I knew this would be a good week to try new recipes.

This week we enjoyed a healthy new one...Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili.
A friend sent me this website and Gina seems to have some good ones.
It was super easy to make, tasted great and made 10 servings. We have lots of individual containers in the freezer now. I have been doing this a ton so Mike will always have dinners when I'm traveling...yep, trying to be a good wife.
Here's the recipe with a few of my variations.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 16-oz can black beans
  • 1 16-oz can kidney beans
  • 1 16-oz can chili beans
  • 1 14-oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 16-oz can sweet corn
  • 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies (or chili ready diced tomatoes)
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1.5 tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on high for 4.5-5 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro.
Servings: 10 Size: 1 1/4 cups

*I added a little ff sour cream and shredded cheese on top. You can also enjoy the chili on top of some rice...haven't tried that one yet.

2 comments:

Lynsey said...

Brian would love if I made this one for him! Thanks for posting it. I'll give it a try.

Unknown said...

this looks ah-mazing! cannot wait to try it. love gina because she makes those low fat recipes look delish! d and i always do chili over rice, it is the bomb... once you try it, you'll never have chili any other way! :)